This is the wiki page associated with Physics 4268/6268 Nonlinear Dynamics & Chaos. Physics 4268/6268 is an undergraduate and graduate level nonlinear dynamics course taught by Professor Daniel I. Goldman in the School of Physics at the Georgia Institute of Technology. The TAs are Chris Crowley from the Schatz lab. Wiki is currently maintained by Chris Crowley. The course is comprised of both a classroom component and a laboratory component. In the laboratory component student led groups will perform a nonlinear dynamics experiment and report their findings. Students thus develop intuition for nonlinear dynamics both on paper and in a hands-on laboratory environment.
The goal of this wiki is for students to interactively develop and compile a library of experiments that illustrate fundamental principles of nonlinear dynamics for further educational use.
On this site you will find all content related to the student led nonlinear dynamics experiments. Announcements for the 2012 course can be found below. In addition all materials from previous years have been posted so that students may see examples of previous project wiki pages, papers, and presentations.
Each group is given access a project page in which they will edit and add content to a wikipedia styled entry detailing the experiment being performed. The page should include a brief summary of the experiment and the relevant scientific questions followed by a more comprehensive explanation of the theoretical and experimental details. Pages should contain references to outside information via journal or book citations, and external web pages. Once the lab has been completed the page should be edited to include information on experimental analysis, results, and a conclusion. Sample pages from previous years serve as useful references.
Final papers / presentations 2020
Final papers / presentations 2014
|Chiral Object||Presentation. Final report|
|Faraday Instability||Presentation. Final report|
|Astrojax Pendulum||Presentation. Final report|
|Jump on Granular Media||Presentation. Final report|
|Pendulum Synchronization||Final report|
Final papers / presentations 2012
Congratulations to all the students! Pictures and Videos from the semester have been uploaded as well as the final presentations and papers which can be found below.
|Duffing Oscillator||Presentation. Papers: Andrew, Aemen, Ross|
|Firefly Synchronization||Presentation. Papers: Morris, Mark, Ben, Will|
|Chua's Circuit||Presentation. Papers: Patrick, Edward, John, Majid|
|Cricket Synchronization||Main presentation, Presentation on pseudo-synchronization leading the pack. Papers: Justin, Charlie, Yuxuan|
Announcements: Fall 2012
- Student groups will be posted shortly. Projects suggestions will be made in class 9/11/2012
- The room Howey S204 has been reserved for student groups to meet and discuss the following hours and dates:
- Mondays from Oct 22 - Dec 3 from 10am to 12pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11am to 12pm
- Wednesdays from Oct 31 - Dec 5 from 10am to 12pm
- Fridays from 3pm to 5 pm
Final papers / presentations 2011
Congratulations to all the students, the final papers and presentations were universally excellent! Pictures from the semester have been uploaded as well as the final presentations and papers which can be found below.
|Faraday waves||Main presentation, Non-newtonian presentation. Papers: Paul, Juan|
|Plinko dynamics||Presentation. Papers: Andrew, Andrew, Chris|
|Inelastic bouncing ball||Presentation. Papers: Nitin, Phillip, Jacob, Chris|
|Synchronization||Presentation. Papers: Vlad, Luis, Brad, Jeff|
|Chaotic faucet||Presentation. Papers: Ricky , Caleb , Joshua , Nick|
|Ferrofluid||Presentation. Papers: Kipp, Daniel, Amir|
|Inverted pendulum||Presentation. Papers: Chris, Jeff, Gustavo, Balachandra|
Announcements: Fall 2011
- Below is a list of the assigned dates for groups to work in the lab. If any groups have conflicts with the dates listed please email me immediately to resolve this.
|10/24 - 10/28||Inverted pendulum (Group 7)|
|10/31 - 11/4||Inelastic bouncing ball (Group 3) and dripping faucet (Group 5)|
|11/7 - 11/11||Synchronization (Group 4) and Ferrofluid (Group 6)|
|11/14 - 11/18||Faraday waves (Group 1) and Plinko dynamics (Group 2)|
|11/28 - 12/2||Presentations beginning Thursday|
|12/5 - 12/9||Presentations|
- Information about the final presentations and paper can now be found on the Final page.
- Lab dates have been posted 10/19/11
- Added capability to embed youtube videos. Use the following code to embed
- Math rendering has been added using the MathJax program. This renders latex code typed into the page source and allows for copy/paste, scaling, and other features. For a Latex tutorial check here.
- Groups are only able to edit the page associated with their group.
- When you receive your group login and password you should change your password for security.
- For questions about this site email Nick Gravish
About this wiki
See the About page for more information. This Wiki is open to the public to view but not to edit. However, we gladly make content available to other schools for non-profit educational use. Some links to copyright-protected references and software are not available to anyone without authentication as a Georgia Tech student or staff.
Here is a link to mediawiki cheatsheet.